Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean we can’t go for some amazing indoor adventures! All across the United States there are free art museums, factory tours, train museums, historical sites and galleries that offer indoor destinations for mega memory making opportunities! Whether you live in Alabama, California or somewhere in between, there are ideas here to get your next local adventure started!
*Do you know a FREE indoor destination that is not on this list? Just send me a message or leave a comment and I’ll get it added to this ultimate list of free indoor destinations!
This post includes affiliate links.
Ultimate List of FREE Indoor Family Destinations
Whether you are staying close to home or looking for something a little farther down the road, I’ve got some great ideas for you divided by states. And ALL of these ideas are FREE! (Some of these ideas may have suggested donations to tour the facilities.)
Just click on the links and discover some amazing destinations to fit into your Fall break plans.
- Calera (Near Birmingham): Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum
- Columbiana: George Washington Museum
- Montgomery: Hyundai Factory Tour
- Tuskegee: Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
- Little Rock: Arkansas Art Center
Expert Tip: Do an internet search for free museum days + the name of your city/state to see what comes up! You might be surprised to find that there are specific days that you are able to tour your favorite museum for FREE just by going at the right time!
- Boulder: Celestial Seasonings Factory Tour
- Boulder: Leanin’ Tree Card Making Factory Tour
- Colorado Springs: FREE Museums and things to do
- 10 FREE Museums in Colorado
- 100 Best Things to do in Colorado (many indoor things on this list)
- Jacksonville: Cummer Museum
- Pensacola: National Naval Aviation Museum
- Tampa: Tampa Firefighters Museum
- Columbus: National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center
- Warner Robins: Museum of Aviation
- McDonough: Heritage Park Veterans Memorial Museum
Expert Tip: Some cities offer bonus free days just for local residents! Call your local Visitors Bureau and ask them if they participate in hometown tourist days!
- Ft Wayne: Hometown Tourist Day – September 2019
- Des Moines: Des Moines Art Center
- LeClaire: Antique Archaeology Store
- Moline: John Deere Pavilion
- Waterloo: John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum
- Corbin: Colonel Sanders First KFC
- Georgetown: Toyota Factory Tours
- Knob Creek: Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Home
- Mill Springs: Mill Springs Visitor Center
- Lexington: University of Kentucky Art Museum
- Lexington: Boone Creek Creamery
- Louisville: Speed Art Museum (FREE on Sundays)
- Winchester: Ale-8-One Bottling Company
Use this list to get your brain started thinking outside the box! Have you visited the art museum in your city? Do you have a university near you that might have a special exhibit that you have not explored? Is there an amazing architectural building that you would love to visit? Just because it’s cold outside, that’s no reason to not go on a free indoor adventure!
- Austin: The SPAM Museum
- Free Twin Cities Museums
- Minneapolis –
- Bay St Louis: Bay St Louis Mardi Gras Museum
- Jackson: Museum of Mississippi History (Free on third Saturday of each month)
- Kansas City: Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City
- St Louis:
- Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Art
- Jackson Center – Airstream Factory Tour
- Toledo: Toledo Art Museum
- Mitchell: World’s Only Corn Palace
- Dallas –Dallas Museum of Art
- Seattle –Frye Art Museum
- National Museum of American History
- Smithsonian Air & Space Museum
- National Gallery of Art
- Ford’s Theatre
- Museum of Natural History
Other Resources for Free Museums & Destinations