Several years ago we discovered a new show on the History Channel called American Pickers. When we started planning our Midwest Road Trip through Iowa, we knew that we had to include a stop to their home store called Antique Archaeology in LeClaire. This isn’t your typical antique store. A stop by Antique Archaeology is a cross between stepping into a movie set and an upscale store full of antiques and rusty treasures.
Amazon affiliate links are also included which means that if you click and make a purchase, I will receive a payment.
Antique Archaeology: Home of American Pickers’ Mike Wolfe
Antique Archaeology is a fun experience for fans of the show. The moment you pull into the parking lot, you know you are in for a fun experience. And of course, everyone has to get a picture with the classic old car “Nash”.
There are two buildings on the property. Take your time and wander through both of the shops so you can see some of the classic things that have been picked.
One of our favorite episodes was when they picked these funny oversized heads!
This isn’t your grandmother’s antiquing. Pickers like Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz are on a mission to recycle America, even if it means diving into countless piles of grimy junk or getting chased off a gun-wielding homeowner’s land. Hitting back roads from coast to coast, the two men earn a living by restoring forgotten relics to their former glory, transforming one person’s trash into another’s treasure. American Pickers follows them as they scour the country for hidden gems in junkyards, basements, garages, and barns, meeting quirky characters and hearing their amazing stories. cred: American Pickers, History Channel
Not everything in the store is for sale. Some of the items are part of Mike’s personal collection and are there for fans like us to come and enjoy! Other items are pieces that have been picked and are ready to go home with the next buyer that walks in the door!
One of the things that caught our eye was the “roached” leather jacket. If you watch the show long at all, you’re going to recognize some of the items and the lingo that Mike and Frank use!
On our visit to Antique Archaeology, we were able to secure a personal tour by Store Manager Emily Gwin! She graciously shared stories of her favorite episodes, pieces and history of the store and the show! Thanks Emily for taking the time to show our family around the store while we were visiting LeClaire!
Things to Know
- There is no fee to visit the Antique Archaeology store.
- There are two buildings at the Iowa store for you to tour and shop.
- This is a popular location, so be prepared to rub shoulders with many other fans of American Pickers.
- You will probably not run into Mike or Frank since they are often on the road.
- If they are filming an episode, there will be extra security. You may have to work around their filming crew.
- Danielle is typically not on location since she is often working from a remote location.
- There are many souvenirs you can purchase in the store. You can also see items that Mike has picked on his travels.
- The staff were all friendly and ready to help as you shop and tour the store.
Find Antique Archaelogy
Looking for a place for lunch while you’re in LeClaire? Check out Crane & Pelican just down the street!