Located just minutes outside of Harrodsburg, KY is a great riverboat cruise down the Kentucky River. The Dixie Belle Riverboat is a hidden jewel in our bluegrass area and well worth the trip. We took a cruise this last week and discovered some of the most beautiful parts of Kentucky that I’ve ever seen.
This post includes affiliate links. Tickets were given for the purpose of this post.
Dixie Belle Riverboat
The captain of the boat was very knowledgeable about our KY history and the area. I have driven over the Kentucky River thousands of times, seen High Bridge and the limestone cliffs from up high on the roads, but floating down the river is a unique perspective and experience.
2012 Dixie Belle Riverboat Rides
Admission: $10 (13 & above), $5 (6-12), free for children 5 & under
Ride Dates: Daily April 28 through October 28
Ride Times: 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM
Enjoy a relaxing ride aboard the Dixie Belle, Shaker Village’s 115-passenger riverboat. Cruise the scenic Kentucky River palisades, along a stretch of river with high limestone cliffs and untouched natural beauty.
A few things to know:
- The cruise lasts approximately 1 hour.
- It is best to use the restroom facilities at the Shaker Village main entrance. There is a port-o-pot when you arrive at the boat landing and very small facilities on the boat. My kids were glad we had stopped at Shaker Village before coming down the hill.
- The road is very narrow once you turn down toward the boat dock. You should drive very slowly and be aware that cars could be coming toward you. There are a few pull off areas on the road.
- You can carry your own drinks on the boat or purchase them for $1.00 during the cruise.
- There are chairs and tables available on the first deck of the boat or you can choose to climb to the top level where you will have a free view of the river, the cliffs and the scenery.
- You are free to walk around and enjoy the different views from around the boat while you cruise.
- The boat is handicapped accessible and user friendly for strollers. If you have difficulty walking, give yourself a few extra minutes to walk to the boat.
My family received a free trip in exchange for this review.