I remember the Christmas that one of my kids was really into all the science, tech, build and create gifts. His questions were “Why? How does it Work? What can I build? What can I create?” That was the year that we went to the local hobby store and found some amazing gift ideas. If you have a child on your list who wants to discover the world, then think outside the traditional box and share some of these amazing gifts for the child who just wants to know WHY!
This post includes affiliate links. Some products were received to faciliate this post.
Top Gift Ideas for Kids Who Ask WHY
When kids want to discover the world around them, encourage that desire to learn! Think about gifts that give them facts, answer questions and let them build.
National Geographic offers books for every curious kid (and adults, too!). For the fact lover, you can buy The Coolest Stuff on Earth: A Closer Look at the Weird, Wild and Wonderful (ages 8-12, hardcover, $19.99, 192 pgs) This book digs into the details behind our planet’s most magnificent marvels, epic extremes, and astonishing animals.
- Did you know that dogs can shake off a pound of water in less than a second?
- That some sand dunes whistle and sing?
- That the U.S. dollar bill is full of hidden symbols related to the number 13?
- Our world is filled with strange, bizarre, and weird happenings. But what do they mean? WHY are they important? And what secrets are behind them?
- Discover the secrets of sharkskin, the mysteries behind incredible island animals, the power behind lightning, how a rare gemstone changes color, and more.
If your child loves space, then check out Space Encyclopedia, 2nd Ed (ages 8-12, hardcover, $24.99, 208 pgs) that is jam packed with everything kids want to know about space — from black holes to moon colonies, to recent discoveries and amazing brand-new NASA space photography.
National Geographic Kids Almanac 2021 (ages 8-12, paperback, $14.99, 352 pgs) features amazing animal stories, explorer profiles, and outrageous attractions that kids know and love, plus more of the incredible inventions, awesome games, and fresh challenges for curious kids who want to learn all about the world and everything that’s in it!.
If you have a new puppy or love little cats, then check out Fetch! A How to Speak Dog Training Guide and Pounce! A How To Speak Cat Training Guide. These books include more than 40 different safe and fun training activities in each book as well as tips from veterinarian Dr. Gary Weitzman.
Stocking Stuffer Gift Ideas:
Pick up some smaller National Geographic books that are perfect for your child’s stockings.
- Nerdlet: Animals (ages 8-12, paperback, $9.99) – shares some of the weirdest, coolest, most amazing creatures in the animal kingdom–and what makes them so complex.
- Brain Candy 2 (ages 8-12, paperback, $8.99) – If you like seeing far-out facts in a new light, the second book in the colorful Brain Candy series takes a deep (and delicious) dive into numbers, fun facts, and cool trivia on all kinds of topics. Feed kids smart snackable bites about the world!
Round out your Christmas gift list with some other building projects like a water rocket, potato clock, tin can robot or dinosuar fossil dig set. These are great gifts that challenge kids to think, discover and explore their world.
Do you have a child on your list that loves to ask WHY? What gift ideas are you planning for these curious kids! I’d love to hear!