One of the best places to experience the amazing sunsets in Phoenix, Arizona is the iconic Hole in the Rock. This popular trail just minutes from the Phoenix Zoo and Desert Botanical Gardens is an easy walk up to the top of the butte that gives you the perfect place to watch the sunset. If you are visiting Phoenix, this is definitely a place you should plan to spend an hour.
This post includes affiliate links.
Things to Know about Hole in the Rock at Sunset
The Hole in the Rock trail is located in Papago Park and has free parking areas and restrooms at the base of the butte. It is a .2 mile hike to the top on a loose gravel and rocky path.
The trail is not difficult but does climb to the top of the butte. Climb around to the left of the hole and then step in through the hole to the wide open viewing area.
Reminder: Be safe and smart! Don’t venture out past the normal areas and put yourself at risk.
This is a popular trail and viewing area so remember that you will be sharing this experience with dozens of other tourists and locals also anticipating a beautiful sunset.
On our visit, we had plenty of time to enjoy the sunset and then come back down before dark , but I would recommend putting a flashlight in your pocket just in case you decide to stay a little longer than you plan.
When you go through the hole, there are rock steps that allow you to easily access the viewing area.
Things to Know:
- Parking is free at the base of the butte.
- Restrooms are available in the parking area.
- There is not a paved trail to the top and is not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers.
- Take a flashlight if you are concerned about the loose gravel on the way down after sunset.
- There is ample viewing area in the hole for quite a few people to enjoy the sunset.
- This is a popular trail so be prepared to encounter lots of other tourists.
- Charge your battery on your phone, because the view is amazing!
- Be aware of the people around you who also want pictures or need to use the steps.
625 N. Galvin Pkwy.
About the Hole in the Rock
Access: Start at the Papago Park Visitor Center and proceed to Hole-in-the-Rock Trail.
Description: The Hole-in-the-Rock Trail is a very short natural dirt and step path that wraps around Hole-in-the-Rock Butte to a large viewing hole in the butte. This short trail wraps around Hole-in-the-Rock Butte to a large wind eroded hole. This very popular trail guides users to a large hole in the butte where visitors can look over the Phoenix metropolitan area. The portion of trail along the backside of the butte incorporates a series of steps.
Spending the week in Phoenix? Don’t miss the Musical instrument Museum! It’s a must see!