Since we live less than 2 hours from Churchill Downs, the Kentucky Derby is a big event in our area. Most of the Kindergarten classes in the nearby counties have an annual stick horse race. These stick horses for Derby Day become treasured keepsakes for the kids. For those of you planning stick horse races to celebrate the Kentucky Derby or just looking for a fun summer backyard activity, here are some super fun stick horse patterns to get you and your horses ready!
This post includes affiliate links.
Easy Stick Horses for Derby Day
Thanks to the teachers who made my kid’s horses back when they were in Kindergarten! We’ve still got them!
Basic Materials Needed
- Insert the pole into the sock and fill the sock completely with batting
- Tie off the sock so the stuffing won’t fall out
- Make hair for the horse using yarn
- Glue on eyes, nose ears
- Attach a ribbon to use for the reins
- Wrap a bandana around the neck if you want
- Give it to the kids and let them race!
Stick Horse Ideas
Each year the Kindergarten students get to name their stick horse, wear their specially designed hats and race for the prize!
Do the kids in your area have a special Derby Day celebration? I’d love to hear your favorite memories.
No time to make a stick horse? You can order them from Amazon, of course! You can even order an inflatable stick horse for indoor parties!