Hobbies on a Budget received sample products for the purpose of this review. No monetary compensation was received. All opinions are my own.
Have you ever had a fish tank in your home? We have thought about adding a fish tank to our household but have just never decided to take the plunge. This past week we received an Aquafarm from EarthEasy. My kids were excited and ready to get it set up and ready for our new betta fish.
How to Set Up your AquaFarm
It took us about 20 minutes to get the Aquafarm set up and ready for our fish. We spread all the pieces on the counter and started with step 2. Yes…. We had to skip the first part about actually getting the fish ready because we couldn’t get to the pet store for several days and the kids were too excited to wait!
The AquaFarm is a self-cleaning fish tank that grows food! The natural waste produced by the fish is pumped up to the plants, and broken down into nutrients the plants need to grow. The clean water then cycles back down to the fish tank, creating a sustainable tabletop ecosystem.
We opened up the box, spread the pieces on the counter and got to work!
- Pour the gravel into the planter cups and rinse thoroughly in your sink.
- Pour the rinsed gravel into the bottom of your tank.
- Connect the hose to the pump and attach it to the back of the tank. (Make sure you keep the plug away from water! Our pump doesn’t seem to want to stay attached to the glass but it just floats fine in the back)
- Fill the tank almost to the fill line on the glass.
- Rinse the tray and lay it in the top of the tank.
- Thread the tube up through the little hole where it can recirculate the water into the tray.
- Fill the plant cups evenly with the grow rocks.
- Rinse each plant cup and then place in the tray.
- Plug in your pump and watch the water start to circulate.
- Drop in some of the basil seeds in 2 of the cups.
- Soak the wheatgrass seeds overnight before placing them on top of the growrocks.
Now it was time to go to the pet store and find our male betta fish! The Aquafarm comes with a coupon for a FREE Betta fish at petco.com if you have that store near you!
How does the Aquafarm Work?
The AquaFarm works as an aquaponic system. Aquaponics is an an ancient, sustainable method of farming that combines aquaculture (raising aquatic creatures) and hydroponics (growing plants without soil). It uses 90% less water than traditional farming.
1) Fish produce ammonia-rich waste
2) Beneficial bacteria in your AquaFarm convert the ammonia into nitrates. These naturally occurring bacteria grow best in the plant pots
3) Nitrates are great food for plants! As the plants continuously uptake nitrates as the nutrients they need to grow, they are also cleaning the water for your fish
I’ll keep you posted on how the fish and plants are doing living in the Williams household!
Help us NAME our Betta fish!
With three kids in the family, we have many ideas for what we should name our new fish! We mutually decided that we need your input! So vote and tell us which name you like best! You can even get an extra entry for voting! Just click on the voting tab in the giveaway box below!