If you live in Kentucky, you need to hike to the top of the Natural Bridge in Slade, KY (about 45 minutes east of Lexington). This is a KY state park with a natural rock arch and an amazing hike. We have been several times in the last few years and it’s always worth the hike. But there are a few tips to make your next hiking trip to Natural Bridge a little more fun.
Natural Bridge Hiking Tips
Tips for your hike to the top
- This is not a hike for strollers, injured or those with health issues. There are many steps!
- Wear tennis shoes – NOT flip flops. It is a rather steep hike so plan accordingly.
- The path is well marked and even has rails on most of the trail but not on the bridge or at the lookouts.
- Once you get to the top of the hike, you will need to go through 2 rock walls and climb a stone staircase.
- It make take you several hours so you should take along a bottle of water or a snack like a granola bar.
- There are benches positioned along the trail. So feel free to stop and catch your breath and enjoy the beauty around you.
- There is a small wildlife center that is free and open to the public.
- If paddle boats, swimming or eating a picnic is on your agenda, these are available as well.
If you decide you don’t want to tackle the hike or squeeze through the staircase, you can ride the skylift. This wasn’t open when we got there, so if you plan to ride this better call first!
The view is worth the hike! The kids are so proud of themselves that they have hiked to the top of the Natural Bridge! What a great day!
Natural Bridge State Resort Park
2135 Natural Bridge Rd.
Slade, KY 40376
Phone: (606) 663-2214
Toll Free: (800) 325-1710
Cost to climb to top of bridge: FREE
Have you been there? I’d love to hear your experience!