By now, some of us may be feeling the strain of too many ‘stay at home’, ‘shelter in place’ and ‘virtual’ experiences. The tourism office of Visit Virginia’s Blue Ridge (Visit VBR) has come up with a great idea to have some fun during these uncertain times while helping us plan our next road trip! Take a look at these Imperfect Substitutions and then share in a comment what you are most looking forward to when you travel again!
This post includes affiliate links.
Imperfect Substitutions: Roanoke, Virginia Travel Ideas
Shannon Terry, marketing manager at Visit VBR created the Imperfect Substitutions campaign. “With my favorite local establishments temporarily closed, I personally started to feel the effects of cabin fever and began brainstorming ways to entertain myself,” said Terry. “What started as a personal joke turned into a light-hearted way to showcase the cool spots in the region that people are missing.”
Whether people try to actually re-create the experience or not, these imperfect substitutions are meant to make people smile when they think about planning a future trip to Virginia’s Blue Ridge once the time is right.Learn more about Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
“My” Imperfect Substitutions
So the Imperfect Substitutions from VisitVBR got me thinking about the other great destinations to visit in the Roanoke area and how they could be used in this campaign!
This is an amazing retail store and warehouse that gives salvage a new life with a one-of-a-kind piecec. If you can dream it, they can build it! But in an Imperfect Substitution world, this one is easy!
- Step 1: Go to your garage or closet where you have all the pieces you have been collecting for crafts or projects.
- Step 2: Dream about what all the pieces could become.
- Step 3: Create something amazing OR decide it’s too much work
- Step 4: Visit Black Dog Salvage in person or take a look at Sharon’s visit and plan your next trip!
One of the most iconic landmarks in Roanoke is the Historic Star! It’s an easy drive to the top of the mountain where you can overlook the city and enjoy a close up look at the world’s largest freestanding illuminated man-made star. But if you can’t visit today, then it’s time for an Imperfect Substitution!
- Step 1: Drive to the top of your closest hill.
- Step 2: Pull out a Christmas star or paper cut out and take a picture.
- Step 3: Take out your binoculars and look around at the view.
- Step 4: Plan a trip to the real Historic Mill Mountain Historic Star OR enjoy a virtual trip with Sharon’s family.
There are so many things to see, do and experience in Roanoke, Virginia. We have visited many times and always find something new to explore!
Take a look at these great highlights to help plan your next trip to Roanoke!
FREE THINGS TO DO
CONNECT WITH ROANOKE
Visit Virginia’s Blue Ridge
101 Shenandoah Avenue NE
Roanoke, VA 24016