This is a sponsored post, but you know that I feel very strongly about the importance of music education. Though I was compensated for this post, the opinions expressed here are my own.
I had my first piano lesson when I was 6 years old but that was not my first introduction to music. I grew up in a family that loved music. Some of the earliest memories I have with my Granddad were of the two of us sitting on the piano bench while he taught me something new. That love for the piano has never faded. In 1989, I took on my very first piano students. Now more than 20 years later I have taught hundreds of students to play and enjoy the piano. But finding new music teachers can sometimes be a challenge. TakeLessons.com is an online resource that is working to connect quality music instructors with new students.
Finding New Music Teachers
When I took a break from teaching a few years ago, my current students were all scrambling to find a new music teacher. We were looking at the local college, churches and music stores for teachers that had available openings. But now students can look online as well. Right now I have one student – my daughter! I know how important it is for her to learn basic music skills. Even my sons who are not as interested in the piano are still learning how to read music.
Reasons Music Education is Important
- Studies have shown connections between musical training and higher scores in both reading and math.
- Playing music, especially duets and in small groups, teaches children how to work as part of a team, an important skill they will need in school and later at work.
- Keeping up a steady practice schedule instills great discipline and work ethic in kids, teaching them to work hard and be patient.
- Musical training improves memory, language skills and listening skills. Studies have shown that this combination leads to improved ability to learn a second language.
- Playing an instrument improves hand-eye coordination and nuanced muscle control, as musicians must make very precise gestures in order to play their instruments correctly.
TakeLessons connects students and families with safe, pre-qualified private music teachers, arts instructors and academic tutors throughout the US. Find your teacher and sign up for music lessons at TakeLessons.com or give us a call at 855-684-5482. Get 20% off your music or tutoring lessons with coupon code MUSIC11!
Do you value music education? Have you ever taken lessons? Got any fun memories or special experiences to share? I’d love to hear!
This is a sponsored post, but you know that I feel very strongly about the importance of music education. Though I was compensated for this post, the opnions expressed here are my own.