What can you make with a mismatched sock, some stuffing, a needle and thread? Sock animals! Last week we got a package from Wholeports Crafts with some new craft projects. One of them was this fun stuffed sock animal friend.
And you know what happens after you finish one fun sock craft? You have to make some more! Here are some easy sock crafts that deliver big fun!
Easy Sock Crafts
- 2 socks (one white, one color)
- Needle and thread
- Scissors to cut socks
- Beads for eyes (optional)
Directions:The directions we received were in Chinese, but we were able to follow the pictures and make the sock craft. You can order this handmade animal kit from Wholeport or just find 2 socks and make your own.
Tips that I learned:
- The white sock will be the stuffed body and face. I found it easiest to just cut it off several inches from the toe so you can stuff it and make a ball. I didn’t even feel like sewing the 2nd time around, so I just stuffed it and then put the unsewn edge down in the bottom of the colored sock. (shortcut!)
- The heel of the colored sock becomes the face outline. I cut through the heel seem and then stuffed the white ball down into the colored sock till I got a clean white face showing.
- The ears are made with a piece of the white sock and a piece of the colored sock. Just put them right sides together and sew them together. Then flip them right side out and tack them at the bottom to give them the ear shape.
- The open round hole of the colored sock becomes the hat. Just use a very loose stitch to gather the hole in and then attach the ears with a few stitches.
After we finished making the pink sock animal, my son wanted one of his own. So we grabbed a mismatched sock and an old white sock and started his creature.
Are they perfect? Definitely not? Did the kids love them! I’ll let you decide!
Have you made anything fun out of old socks? I’d love to hear! Better yet – I’d love to see a picture of your project!