What do you do when you’re in quarantine and want new pillows for your patio furniture? You either make do or do without. I looked around my house and realized I had everything I needed to create super cute patio pillows with things I already had. I pulled out some reusable shopping bags, a black tablecloth, and some plastic bags and I was set for this project: Easy Patio Pillows with Reusable Shopping Bags.
This post includes affiliate links.
Easy Patio Pillows with Reusable Shopping Bags
I have dozens of reusable shopping bags and I can’t use them when I go grocery shopping right now so I decided that these were a perfect place to find the fabric I needed for patio pillows. Some of the reusable bags are too flimsy and wouldn’t last very long outside, but I found this blue bag with flowers that is perfect for this project.
- Reusable Shopping Bag
- Table Cloth (for backing)
- Sewing Machine
- plastic grocery bags (for stuffing)
- Seam Ripper
- Remove the handles from the reusable shopping bag
- Cut the reusable shopping bag into two pieces so you can have 2 matching pillows
- Cut the solid table cloth into the same size square
- Sew right sides together leaving enough space to stuff the plastic grocery bags
- Snip the corners before you flip so you can have tight corners
- Flip the bag and stuff with plastic grocery bags
Thanks to my friend Kelly at Eclectic Momsense for the great suggestion to stuff the pillows with plastic shopping bags. This makes them a better option for something I can leave outside!
- Sew the last flap with a simple whip stitch or close it up it with the sewing machine. Remember that this project doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Toss on your garden chair, swing or bench and enjoy a splash of color in your backyard and on your patio.
I love the mixed prints tossed on my garden bench in the backyard. The striped pillow came from a tablecloth that I have used for years as a painting cloth. I just salvaged the pieces that weren’t covered with paint and made a couple of pillows the same way I used the reusable floral shopping bag!
How are you getting creative and using the resources you have in your home? Have you thought about using your reusable shopping bags to create patio pillows? When you try this, send me a picture! I’d love to see your patterns and creativity during this challenging time!
Need something else creative during these quarantine days? How about repurposing your old blue jeans and flannel pants to create a rag quilt?