Each year we do something as a family to help celebrate the season. We have gone to local light shows, driven through the MegaCavern in Louisville, the KY Horsepark in Lexington and even spent a cold winter day at Dollywood. But this year we decided to check out the chilly holiday attraction ICE! Gaylord Opryland. If you are thinking about driving over to Nashville for this cool fun event, here are some things to know!
Hobbies on a Budget received no discounts or tickets for this post. All opinions are my own. Affiliate links are included.
What to Know: ICE! at Gaylord Opryland
We made a quick trip over to Nashville this week to make some family memories at ICE! at Gaylord Opryland. We knew we didn’t have time for a full multi-state road trip, but we also knew that we wanted to do something festive for the Christmas season and this super cool event was perfect.
The theme for ICE! in Nashville is the Charlie Brown Christmas movie. As you walk through the exhibit, you go from one familiar scene to the next.
But before you can begin your tour, you have to get ready for the cold! Each person who visits ICE! receives a blue parka to keep you warm. The exhibit hall is a chilly 9 degrees so whether you come dressed in your own coat or just have a fleece hoodie, you will appreciate the addition of the thick warm parka.
Remember to bring your own gloves and scarf though! There are no pockets in the parka and your hands will definitely get cold!
If you have seen the Charlie Brown Christmas movie then you will know and love each of the scenes.
You can take pictures all along the way with each of your favorite characters. But remember, don’t touch the ice sculptures! They are fragile and should be appreciated but not touched.
And of course, you can’t miss the chance to step in and get some counseling from Lucy, right?
As you continue through the exhibits, you get to the ICE Slide! This adventure is just one of those things you have to try. But don’t get scared! The slide goes pretty slow for most people. They have a shorter slide for smaller children, too.
As you finish off the Charlie Brown Christmas ICE! Exhibit, you get to see Snoopy’s doghouse all decked out for Christmas and the transformation of Charlie’s Brown’s tree.
ICE! is an indoor winter wonderland featuring:
- Walk-through holiday attraction kept at a chilly 9 degrees
- Two million pounds of colorful ice sculptures
- Hand-carved by 40 artisans from Harbin, China. Learn more about The Making of ICE!
- Depicts the story of A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Four two-story tall ice slides
- Full Nativity in stunning, crystal clear ice
The ICE! Nativity
Before you leave the cold ICE! exhibit, you are treated to the most amazing nativity made entirely of ice. Take the time to think about the birth of baby Jesus and the special story that makes Christmas worth celebrating!
Once you get to the end of your tour, you have the opportunity to purchase hot chocolate or coffee. It is a little pricey at $3.50 per cup, but after the super cold time going through the exhibits, you may decide it’s worth it.
Find ICE! Gaylord Opryland
November 10, 2017 – January 1, 2018
For tickets & information: +1-615-889-1000
Things to Know:
- Get there early to avoid lines and heavy crowds.
- You can park for FREE by parking on the side of the exhibit closest to Opry Mills. If you park in the Opryland Hotel parking lot, you will be charged $29.
- You can take strollers through the ICE! exhibit, but make sure you bundle up your children. Did I mention that it is cold?
- Touchscreen gloves are a plus if you want to be able to take pictures without having to take off your gloves.
Planning your Christmas get-togethers over the next few days? Take a look at these Conversation Starters for Christmas dinner!