DIY Captain America Costume

My son wants to be Captain America for Halloween. But I really hate spending $20 on a plastic costume that he will wear one time for Trick or Treating, a few times for fun around the house and then it will be done. Instead we decided to make the costume.  We’ve never made a Captain America Costume, but we have created pirates, ninjas, bumblebees and Hermione. I was super excited to see what we could come up with little sewing and less money.

Captain America Costume

A few weeks ago we had an Avenger party at the park with some friends, so we already have the shield and cardboard mask. Now all we need is the costume.

• Pants:  I found some blue pants that he can wear to school on regular days but we can use to become Captain America. ($8 at Walmart).
  • Top: He has a blue school hoodie that will be perfect for his upper body. We’ll just add a white star.
  • Boots: I bought 1 yard of red material to turn into boots that slide over his tennis shoes. I had a pair of black boots in the costume box from several years ago.  I just took those as my pattern, traced them on the backside of the material and then sewed them together.  They’re not perfect, but they’ll work great.  They don’t have a bottom, so my son can just wear his tennis shoes under them.
  • Belt:  I used a hot glue gun to attach stripes of white felt on the red material.  I just pinned it in the back so it will stay put while he’s dressed up.

Total cost for this outfit: $13.00 ($8.00 for the pants, $5.00 for the red material!)

Now we’ve got Captain America!

Are you making or buying Halloween costumes this year? Got any great tips to share and inspire? I’d love to hear!!!

About Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams is a mom of 3 who loves to read, travel, take pictures, work in the flowers and spend time with family. When she's not blogging, she's probably out enjoying life so she'll have something fun to blog about tomorrow!

Comments

1. says

I just told the children’s stepmom that I’m not purchasing costumes this year. They do trick or treating over there. It’s not something I did with my oldest daughter – maybe once or twice. Sometimes my oldest takes them to the mall or something, but this year they can do without since they’ll do something at his house.

Oh, I would probably buy. Sometimes we use items from previous years or dress up, but normally buy kinda early for a good deal.

2. says

Making or buying??? Well, usually I buy… at the end of halloween one year when they are on sale for a dollar.. then let kids pick one of those for the next year. This year, they want to be something I do not have at all, so we will be improvising. Probably a combination of making/buying. Maybe I will post about it. :-)
    You did a great job!! He looks like a REAL HERO!

3. Larissa says

Great ideas…I found your site when looking for final detail ideas. I am making this right now but took a blue t shirt from michaels, glow in the dark duct tape and red duct tape for the patternon the shirt. Will use the red duct tape on plastic grocery bags as an overlay for the every day rain boots. Not expecting it to last a long time but halloween and a few dress up playtimes. :) We already had blue track pants that will work for the bottoms.

• says

I’d love to see the pictures of your final costume! Great item to use the plastic grocery bags and duct tape! I would never have thought of that! Cool idea!

4. says

That is awesome. Here is what the non talented people do, we buy a costume the year before on clearance and save it. I am stocking up on the clearance costumes for a dress up bin at home this year. You are so talented, I wish I could do that.

• says

That’s funny Jenifer! I usually try to stock up the year before, but the kids are growing so fast and I completely missed all the clearance last year, so I had to get creative! lol I was just glad it was only the boots I had to sew! :-)

Trackbacks