Glow in the Dark Jars with Sticks

We finally made glow in the dark jars! We’ve tried the glow in the dark paint and the black light, (We even created glow in the dark flowers that were pretty cool!), but never quite achieved the look we were going after. Earlier this week the kids and I picked up 3 packs of glow sticks. You can buy 5 of the braclet sticks for .97 at Walmart. What a deal! We had seen online that some people had tried the glow sticks to make the universe in the jar effect. So we tried it ourselves!

Glow in the Dark Jars

I popped the stick to make it start glowing. Then I took a pair of scissors and cut the bracelet into small pieces. I kept the stick over the mason jar so no liquid dripped out. I screwed on the top and made sure it was tight. Then my daughter got to shake the jar. This allowed the liquid to coat the inside of the jar.

Safety Tip: The packages say non-toxic, but I still used every safety precaution while doing this. I do not offer any kind of medical advice or opinions on whether this is child friendly.

My daughter took a 2nd bracelet and laid it on top of the jar. Now the jar glows and the top is glowing too. She set the jar in her room and had a really cool night light that lasted almost all night.

Glow in the Dark Jars - No Paint!

Glow in the Dark Jars – No Paint!

This jar is glowing on its own from the glow stick – no black light, no paint!

Glow balloons

Since we had the glow sticks on hand, we decided to put a few inside some balloons. These looked really cool and the kids had a ball with them. I could see how much fun this would be on a summer night out in the backyard.

glow in the dark balloons

Anybody else get inspired by the glow in the dark craft ideas that I posted earlier this week? I’d love to see and hear what you’ve done!

About Sharon Williams

Sharon Williams is a mom of 3 who loves to read, travel, take pictures, work in the flowers and spend time with family. When she's not blogging, she's probably out enjoying life so she'll have something fun to blog about tomorrow!

Comments

1. Jim Earl says

I think this is a great idea. I have seven grandchildren and the one thing I would like to know is what kind of liquid do you use? Thank you

2. Jim Earl says

3. Jim Earl says

4. says

Those are very cool! I love the jars I hadn’t thought of using glow sticks for that. I have heard of using them for a lot of other projects but haven’t tried it yet.

5. says

What a brilliant idea for kids to enjoy! Thanks for sharing it! I never had any idea about this light where you can put it in a jar and tada! A light jars come out! I would love to try it out!

6. Andrea Smith says

How awesome. I love glow sticks, but never tried this. I will do this for my son’s birthday party. Thanks!

7. Andrea Smith says

8. luz says

I will tray this idea for my Son Inlaw 25th birthday Party. Is going to be fun to see the “Old little kids” faces. I will let you know, Thank you

9. Tracy Lynn says

Looks like fun!

As for non-toxic…. About 8-9 years ago, my daughter (around 3 yrs old), managed to bite or break a glow stick. It coated her mouth. I couldn’t find the packaging at the time so I called poison control. They said “It won’t hurt her. It will just taste really bad.” I confirmed with my daughter that it did taste bad. After the call to poison control, I commented to my mom that I wish we had gotten a picture when her mouth was glowing orange! It would have made for a fun scrapbook page! LOL

• says

Thanks for sharing this! I really worried about whether I should post this idea because I had a feeling I would hear negative stuff about it being dangerous. So glad to hear your experience. And yes, that would have been a great keeper picture!!! This was a ton of fun!

• Gramma Marsh says

Gram My Granddaughter also bit into the glow stick and showed up at the end of the dark hall way with a glowing mouth. Poison control said the liquid is some kind of fish oil. Yucky, but probably OK as any toy coming out of China today. Wouldn’t recommend eating this stuff on purpose.Can’t wait to try this tho, especially the balloons